My brother and sister-in-law gave me a gratitude journal for my birthday this summer and I got it out the other night to write. After I’d filled three pages, I thought “y’know, this would make a great Thankful Thursday post and besides, it’s time I got back to writing.” So here I am, after six months’ silence.
There have been some significant changes in my life since I wrote last. The economic fallout of the pandemic happened to me – I was laid off at the end of September. I haven’t found a new job yet. (That phrase from the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie comes to mind; when someone asks Captain Jack about his ship, and he says “I’m in the market. As it were.”) Part of why I haven’t is because I’ve been doing a number of other things. Including my other significant change: moving.
This is my third evening in my new home. I’m just under half an hour away from where I used to live, renting a room from a very nice lady. I lived in my previous apartment for five years and four months, which I believe is the longest I’ve lived in one place in my entire life. Thus I spent many hours over the last week sorting and packing and getting rid of things and more sorting and dusting and finding things I was looking for just after I’d taped up the box the rest of the matching things went in and taking out yet another load of trash and on and on.
I am so thankful, though, for so many people:
- For my friend A, who connected me with my new housemate/land lady, and who came and spent several hours helping me sort stacks of paper things I’d kept but didn’t need all of
- For my friend M, who took the car seats out of her vehicle (no small undertaking) so we could use it to put my furniture in, and who helped load and unload all of said furniture on Saturday, and also loaned me her cooler to transport my fridge and freezer stuff
- For my friend C, who helped with the heavy lifting, carrying my small but heavy filing cabinet all by himself
- For my friend R, who came early on Saturday and packed my printer and toaster oven and wall map and helped with the loading and unloading
- For my friend L, who helped pack my pantry and my under-sink things and encouraged me – oh, and dealt with the things I felt needed shredding
- For my friend C, who came after her babies were in bed to make a second run on Saturday, providing motivation to keep going at the end of a tiring day
- For my friend S, who spent six hours on Tuesday helping me with the final things, loaded both cars while I packed, helped unload, and then reassembled my lamp while I put the cold food away
- For the authorities where I used to live, who were kind enough to give me extra time
- For the many people who have been and are praying for me, encouraging me along the way
I am thankful for boxes and tape and trash bags. I am thankful for fun memories and solid goodbye hugs and tissues. I’m thankful for four days of beautiful fall weather (the last time I moved, we loaded the trailer in the rain.) I’m thankful for clean sheets and warm blankets. I’m thankful for this place and all the people who helped me get here.
I am thankful for so many things.