The Olympics! Ack!😀
We have bunny ears for the TV, so I only get what’s broadcast on the main NBC channel, and since I work during the day, I only watch Prime Time. I actually even stopped watching the news, because the anchor said something the other day about “we’re not going to give you any results that haven’t already been widely reported …” and then proceeded to tell me who won the women’s gymnastics team gold, which I hadn’t seen yet.😛
How about that Michael Phelps, though, huh? Just like everyone else, when he showed up at the Olympic trials, I wondered if he really still had it. Sometimes people keep going when they should quit. He’s been incredible, though. And when you think about the fact that he’s to the point where he’s setting records for “oldest swimmer to __”, it gets even crazier.
Ok, back to the point of this post, things to be thankful for. This week, I am thankful:
- for people talented enough to be in the Olympics, which makes it fun to watch
- that I am not one of them – it takes a lot of hard work to get there, which I have no urge to put in. Plus, there’s what happened those road race cyclists on Days 1 & 2 – no thank you.
- that I can even watch these Olympics in the comfort of my own home. For Sochi 2014, the bunny ears I bought got me nothing but PBS because I was too far from the big cities, so I wound up getting my TV anyplace I could scavenge it: the landlady of the apartment complex, the work out room in the basement of the company guest house, the sports bar down the street (which, incidentally, had delicious strawberry smoothies, I discovered.)
- for the fun of having other people at work who watch too, so we can discuss the craziness
- for the chance that we might break our 100 degree (38 C) days streak tomorrow or the next day
- and that there might even be rain
There’s a bit more swimming – two more finals for Michael Phelps (plus, y’know, lots of other people😛 ) – and the individual events in gymnastics, which should be fun. But tonight the track and field starts – and tomorrow, Usain Bolt.😀
Watching it this way means I’m only getting what NBC has chosen to put in Prime Time, so I haven’t seen any of the soccer games or the rugby (though I heard about Fiji and the rugby sevens🙂 ) or the golf (sorry, Dad) or the equestrian. I may look them up online at some point, but the problem with doing that is then I risk seeing results for something I want to see that was taped during the day that they’ll be showing in the evening (like gymnastics.) Besides, Prime Time fits nicely between dinner and bed, with not too much room for other things (don’t worry Mom, I’ve been doing the dishes on commercials.🙂 )
Anyway, enough rambling for the week. What about you, Olympics fan, or no? Do you have a sport you’re following closely? Anything not having to do with international sporting competition you’re thankful for this week?🙂 Please, share!