As I noted in this post on my snow day on Tuesday, it has been a rather cold and wintry week here. And today has been even colder, with the thermometer heading steadily down from a high of 32 (0 C) at 2 o’clock this morning to 18 F (-8 C) now, 11 degrees if you count the windchill (according to weather.com), and will be going still lower tonight. I know for some people I know in the Sierra Nevadas and the Rockies, this is “normal”, but it’s colder than usual for us this time of year. While I do find snow and ice to be beautiful at times (i.e. not when I’m driving in them or scraping them off my car…), I am not a fan of cold.
Oh well, it is December, so I guess some wintry weather is to be expected on this side of the globe. And I did get my new Christmas lights up over the weekend, so there are some good things. Along with the Christmas lights that make me smile every time I see them, even though they are just a single strand wound around my balcony railing, I am thankful this week for:
- safety so far on the roads in the snow and ice
- bright sunshine-filled skies the last two mornings, in spite of the cold – where I lived previous to this location, it was cloudy much more often than it is here (which is one of the things I love about here!)
- that my car door wasn’t frozen shut when I was in a hurry yesterday morning – the entire car was cased in ice on Monday morning and it took me way too long to get the door open just to get my scraper out (I now keep the back-up scraper in the apartment… )
- small snowmen to make me smile – the one I made on Tuesday (pictured) was still there on my way out this morning, though a little lopsided now
- delicious graham-cracker-chocolate-coconut creations a co-worker from another department made for an office Christmas party
- Silver Bells by Bing Crosby & Carol Richards – one of my favorite Christmas songs. Bing Crosby’s voice is woven into so many of my Christmas memories growing up…
Are you thankful for the weather where you’re at (or not-so-thankful)? Any fun Christmas things starting to happen that you’d like to share?