Cold. There has been some intense cold this week (at least, cold for the part of the country I live in). Though I’m better at dealing with it than I once was, I am still not a fan of cold. Maybe it’s from growing up six degrees south of the equator, or maybe it’s just a personal thing. Either way windchill in the negatives is not entertaining no matter where you live. I did discover that when the temperature goes from 35 to 13 degrees (2 to -10 C) in a day, the lumps of semi-melted snow turned to ice shards by the cold tinkle like broken glass when you kick them. It’s been fascinating me on my trips between car and apartment for the last several days. 🙂
Today it has warmed all the way up to 37 (3 C), though it’s going back below freezing tonight. You know it’s been cold when anything above freezing feels “warm.” 😛 At any rate, I am thankful this week for:
- extra blankets – including a nice wool one that my parents kindly brought from storage in California (thanks!)
- new life – both my brother and sister-in-law and one of my college roommates and her husband are having babies due in June. Congrats all around! 😀
- that my coughing has almost stopped – especially since I pulled/strained a rib muscle coughing last Friday night and so it hurts every time I cough (also, who knew rib muscles were used for pretty much everything?)
- that the cold weather is easing a bit – above freezing today and supposedly getting warmer all weekend. Though we are forecasted to have freezing rain/wintry mix tomorrow morning, which could be interesting. *grimace*
- five-dollar-bin movies – I bought myself several over Christmas break and have had fun watching them. They’re all ‘older’ movies, so I’ve been getting all warm-fuzzy-nostalgic. 🙂
- the gift of knee socks I got for Christmas – came in very handy in the cold this week.
- Also the goldfish crackers I got for Christmas (Mom knows how to make my inner child happy, what can I say? 🙂 ) and the cutting boards and the pots (I used one already, thanks L!) and the tea and hot chocolate and all the yummy things to eat… I should just say “All my Christmas gifts this year”, that would be easier. 🙂 I haven’t used my other kitchen gadgets I got yet because I’ve been taking the easy dinner route, what with not feeling well. Who knows what culinary adventures I’ll get up to once I’m better, though?
Alright, that’s enough rambling for this round. I’m looking forward to being not so cold tomorrow. How’s the weather been in your part of the world? Something to be thankful for, or to be thankful that it’s gone? 🙂