Another week has come and gone (I feel like there’s a song in there somewhere) and I’m back to write again. Sorry to my regular readers about the lack of other posting this week, life has been busy.
March 17th, this past Monday, was Saint Patrick’s Day – but rather than having a parade and gamboling in the sunshine and clover, we had another snow day. Yes, our fourth in the last six weeks (and that’s not our fourth day of snow, it’s the fourth time of snow bad enough to close work.) I live north of work and they actually got nearly twice as much snow as I did, for once, but I still got 4 inches before noon. In spite of the lack of festivities on the day of, you’ll see a couple of Irish flavored things in my list below. Thankfully it has warmed up enough since Monday for almost all of the snow to be melted already, so that is nice.
Other things that I am thankful for this week are:
- that when I missed the mouth of my insulated cup and spilled peppermint tea on myself on Wednesday afternoon, not only was it cold already so I didn’t burn myself, but I was wearing a polyester shirt, so most of it rolled off into my lap instead of soaking in, which gave me time to grab a napkin from a drawer before too much damage was done 🙂
- my new windshield wipers – they work much better than my old ones did
- that the Vitamin C tablet which rolled away under the stove to live with the dust bunnies last night wasn’t my last one.
- that my Oxalis corniculata (pictured, in front of my spider plants) is blooming again –
the little yellow flowers make me smile and they make my coffee table feel like Spring, since it’s not consistently warm enough for the plants to be outside yet
- the leftover corned beef and cabbage and potatoes that one of my co-workers shared with me today. Since my mom’s dad’s people are from Ireland, we often had corned beef and cabbage on Saint Patrick’s Day growing up (and I always wore green, to avoid getting pinched for the lack of it,) but now that I’m not living with my parents anymore, it’s a lot of work to cook on my own. So I didn’t have any on St.
Patty’sPaddy’s Day and was feeling the loss a little bit, but then my co-worker had a surplus (her family is Irish too,) so she shared. 🙂
- that my city library has a wide selection of movies that you can borrow for free with a library card, so I borrowed John Wayne’s The Quiet Man and watched it over the last two nights. It’s a good, classic Irish movie – made in Ireland in the 1950’s – and they had the Collector’s Edition with the fascinating interviews too.
- that the costume party I alluded to in the last two points last week – which was a surprise for the birthday girl, hence the vagueness – was a successful surprise last Saturday and we all had fun being pirates for a night 🙂
So, here’s to Irish things that make me smile, a cleaner windshield, and little yellow flowers. Do you have anything to be thankful for this week? I’d love to hear it!