According to weather.com (which may be suspect) the amount of rain we had yesterday was half as much as we normally get for the entire month of April in this part of the country. I am glad I don’t live near any rivers, as there are flood warnings still in effect. Some places have had flooding and damage already, but so far I haven’t. I did have a rather unpleasant drive home last night, with fog mingled in with the rain and road-spray and darkness, but I made it safely. Today was drier, though not completely rain-free, and about twenty degrees warmer than yesterday, both of which were nice.
Weather aside, this week I am thankful for:
- finally finding a non-circular, non-glazed, terra cotta pot with a hole in the bottom for transplanting my Haworthia – it’s a rectangle and I love it, even if it is a bit deeper than might be wise (I’ll just have to be careful with the watering)
- how much fun I had at the plant nursery on Sunday where I found the aforementioned pot, even though I didn’t find the soil mix I actually went in there to look for
- peeks of sun this morning after two straight days of rain
- recipe-less kitchen experiments that actually turn out tasty – the other day I combined some left-over instant mashed potatoes with some excess canned soup (the can is several ounces larger than my handled bowl I use to heat soup up for lunch at work, so I usually take the extra home to add to for dinner) added in some frozen green beans, some season salt, and wound up with something remarkably “zuppa toscana”-ish. In fact, after I thought of the comparison to the Olive Garden soup, I added some ground cayenne and it was even better. 🙂
- that I didn’t pay full price when I went to see the new RoboCop on Saturday, but saw it at the cheap theater instead, since I found it somewhat disappointing
- that blooming dogwoods and redbuds now add splashes of color and beauty to my daily drive
That’s it for this week. I’m happy May is here, as it is one of my favorite months of the year – and this May will have five weekends to boot! I am sad, though, that the church-league softball game tomorrow was cancelled yet again; the fields are in a park very close to a stream. The text said “cancelled, unless you wanna play water polo.” I guess that’s just life, some happy, some sad. Here’s to blooming trees, a rain-proof apartment, and yummy made-up soup. 🙂 Anything you’re thankful for you want to share?