I had a wonderful Fourth of July weekend – extended a bit on both sides so I could go visit family. My new niece was the star of the show, of course, and she’s Adorable with a capital A. 🙂 I’m not sharing pictures here, I’ll leave that up to her parents, but if you saw her I know you’d agree with me. She’s also a champion sleeper, unless it’s 2 am, which is party time. My 4 1/2 year old nephew, the new big brother, was also a hoot. He’s a delightful, often hilarious, high-energy handful with a heart of gold.
I got to see other relatives as well, of course, my brothers and sisters-in-law, my other niece, and my parents (who are usually far, far away.) My mom’s birthday falls close to the holiday weekend, so we enjoyed celebrating her together. My dad made some delicious barbecued chicken for her birthday dinner – the rest of the dinner was a team effort, even my nephew helped. Overall, it was just really good to get away and spend some quality time with loved ones.
Due to the good-times packed week (I came back to my place on Tuesday and work on Wednesday) my thankful list is somewhat longer than normal. Some of the things are just happy memories, but I am thankful to have made them, so they still count. 🙂 This week I am thankful for a multitude of things, including:
- getting to hold my new niece when she was only nine days old 😀
- that she’s healthy and growing strong – she’d gained thirteen ounces by her checkup on Monday
- a working air conditioner in my car – it had been not blowing cold air for a couple of months, but now it is better thanks to a can of recharge coolant
- the kind of Dad who will help fix a car air conditioner in the rain
- his great big brown and white golf umbrella that kept our drenching to a manageable level
- the fun of sparklers
and light-your-own fireworks, but also having a chance to snag pictures of some big fireworks over the trees without having to deal with going anywhere (didn’t get those downloaded yet, I’ll have to share later)
- laughing with my dad while blowing bubbles on the porch
- finally winning a game of corn hole! 🙂
- getting to be there, in person, to celebrate my mom’s birthday – love you Mom!
- leftover birthday cake 🙂 (also, the discovery that half a box of cherry jello in a white cake mix will make up for not being able to find a cherry cake mix 🙂 )
- that delicious sticky chocolate-y sugary mess known as s’mores
- enjoying a girls-only shopping trip with my mom and sister-in-law and niece
- going barefooted in the grass on a beautiful warm day
- watching my dad and brother catch fireflies for my nephew – there were so many of them all around the house!
And many more… but my stomach is complaining about needing filled (and I have one more piece of leftover cake to give it after spaghetti for dinner 😉 ) and I should get going. I hope that you were able to have a good weekend too, especially if it included Fourth of July festivities and family. Thank you for stopping by to read my thankful little corner of the internet.