Once again, I didn’t intend the preceding months of blog silence. Thank you to those readers who are still here. I don’t have a “good excuse” or a handful of them, even. Just life. Life’s been rolling on, one day at a time, without me getting up the momentum to blog again. I have thought about it, though, fairly often.
Things haven’t been all that bad – I didn’t shut down because I couldn’t take communicating anymore (which has happened in the past.) I’ve still got a job at the Dining Hall which I love. I’m not in the dishwasher position anymore; I work up front now, doing cashier and a whole bundle of random things that add up to a full 9-to-5. We’ve got a great team that works well together. I still love that my “commute” is a three minute walk to work. 🙂
The weather where I currently live is in that “too hot to be pleasant, but not quite hot enough to turn the air conditioner on if you’re stubborn” [and/or live with people who have spent most of the last twenty-five years in the tropics with no ac.] It’s also quite humid, as we’ve been having record rain. I’m alright with both, especially since we have ceiling fans, which I didn’t in my last three apartments (granted, those were in the north east, where heating is more important.)
So the weather and the job and my health have all been pretty good. I just haven’t been writing. I started this list a while ago, and then earlier this week got a little nudge to go ahead and finish it and put it up.
- for a timely reminder from a friend that thankfulness is a good habit
- that I realized what I was doing a half-second before I added a full scoop of coffee to a brew basket with no filter
- for people who understand being “not from around here”
- for insulated coffee mugs with lids – so that when I knocked over the one on my boss’ desk while gesticulating the other day, it didn’t make a giant mess
- for that moment when, after the fan’s been going all night with the window open, you’re cool enough to reach over and pull up the extra blanket and it’s deliciously warm
- for a helium Happy Birthday baloon still going strong weeks later
- for the opportunity to try one more time
- for the smiles a free box of Goldfish mac’n’cheese gave me – and that it tasted fine even though it was more than a year out of date 🙂
So there you have it, a generous handful of things I have found to be thankful for, plus enough of an update to know that I’m doing okay. Do you have anything you’re thankful for that you’d like to add to my list? Have you found thankfulness a helpful habit, now or in the past? Has anything made you smile lately? Perhaps something slightly odd, like out-of-date mac’n’cheese? 🙂