I had the joy of introducing some co-workers to Dominick the Italian Christmas Donkey today. 🙂 It was preceded by singing vigorously along with “I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas,” since M brought her Bluetooth speaker to make her phone loud enough for the whole kitchen to hear. 🙂 I thoroughly enjoyed myself (we did all agree, though, that “The Christmas Shoes” is just an awful song – not quality-wise, but in being way too heart-wrenching and sad for Christmas.) [Links to YouTube videos with songs and lyrics. If you don’t know the songs, you should definitely check them out – at least the first two. I’m not responsible for anything that gets stuck in your head, though. 🙂 ]
We’ve had quite the swing of temperatures in the last few weeks, but it is indeed “Starting to Feel a Lot Like Christmas.” Perhaps it was that feeling, perhaps it was putting a reminder notification on my phone, but whatever the reason, I have finally managed to sit down and write a Thankful Thursday post. Some of the things below are from bits of Thankful lists I’ve collected over the past two months, some I wrote down just this week. Since it’s been so long, I’m going over my “usual” goal of six items; I figured no one would mind (if I’ve got any readers left with such an inconsistent posting frequency.)
This week, and weeks past, I have been and am thankful:
- for the ice machine at work – I use it a lot: filling the ice dispenser out front, putting ice in the iced tea, filling the recessed spot in the serving line where the dished up fruit will go, etc. Ironically, I had this on the start of a list from weeks ago, and then on Monday this week, the ice machine went down. It was out of commission for nearly 48 hours by the time the tech got to it – and I got to see something I’ve never seen in my seventeen months at this job: the bottom of the waist-high ice machine bin. Thankfully, it is now functioning correctly, and after running all afternoon (and probably half the night) the bin was beautifully full this morning.
- for the drain under said ice machine to kick the cubes that jump during the bucket-filling process
- for a house with no leaks – especially during the storm two months ago with thunder so loud it woke me up at five am
- for the toddler who gave me a smile when, after a mild scare, she latched onto the nearest set of legs – which did not belong to who she thought they did 🙂
- for safe transoceanic travel for my parents
- for aloe for the thumb I burned on the garlic bread pan
- for a heated mug to warm chilled fingers (with a variety of things in it doing the heating)
- for chocolate chocolate chip cookies made with Andes Mint chips 😀 (oh, yes, they’re just as delicious as you think)
- for silly Christmas songs, because they make me smile 😉
So, what about you? Do you know any hilarious Christmas songs? How do you feel about “The Christmas Shoes”? Or mint chocolate chip cookies, for that matter? Do you have anything you’re Thankful for that you’d like to share?
Thanks for reading this far – if I don’t manage to post again before then, have a Merry Christmas!